View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Psychologists will diagnose many PCS subjects as schizoid (loners, lacking social connections). I have always thought the schizoid is a follow on symptoms rather than a primary symptom. We tend to remove ourselves from social settings due to the negative reactions of others. We would prefer to be engaged socially but the frustration prevents it.

The high achievers are also the most difficult to get a sound diagnosis of PCS. The professionals see the high functions as 24/7. They do not accept that the high functioning is not the normal or that it is necessary to put extraordinary effort to achieve the high function that was very easy pre PCS.

My biggest struggle was learning to study. I hardly had to crack a book pre PCS. My memory skills were outstanding. Some casual review and I was ready for finals. I challenged freshman algebra the second week of class and got an 85% on the final. Took sophomore geometry instaed. Had straight A's (93% GPA).

Concussion first quarter of sophomore year. Grades fell apart. Freshman year I had been given the nickname 'brain'. Sophomore year, classmates were complaining that they could not cheat off me because I was struggling to take tests.

Even when I studied harder, I struggled with tests. The stress of the testing environment froze my brain. I would have blank stares at the questions.

It is unfortunate that schools teach to the test in a way that makes it difficult for the brain injured to compete. I am sure she still exhibits her intelligence, just in a different way. Not the 'one size fits all' way of classroom schooling.

Remind her that there are two kinds of high achievers, those who can get good grades (good at memorizing facts) and those who are truly intelligent and understand the subject matter. The 'good at memorizing facts' students tended to be more snobbish. They were achievement oriented just for achievement's sake. The truly intelligent achieved good grades just because they could. The latter still understand the information but struggle to regurgitate it on cue.

The intelligent guys tended to be cut-ups or nerds. I never did figure out the intelligent girls. Most of the high achieving girls I knew were of the snob variety, except my girlfriend. At a 20th reunion, those snobs were still snobs. There were popular with classmates snobs and popular with teachers snobs.

High school can be such a challenge. The 'on cue' issue also effect the social settings. Friends will want an instant response.Maybe once she has sort out or made sense of the conversation, she will be able to respond. People tend to think this slowed reaction is being dumb. In reality, it is just a slower, more diligent effort at understanding the issues.

before my recent injury, I would be the first to respond or even break into a conversation that was going too slow. I had "important information to tell." Now, as I have had to slow down with my responses, I don't talk over people as much or just plain talk too much.

Even with my weakness at recognizing social cues (PCS), I still behave better in social setting due to my need to have patience to listen and understand others.

Her social circles will evaporate the summer after high school graduation. Help her make it through those years and she will be fine. Help her focus on character development rather than social connections. Here in Idaho, the Dairy Association gives out an award for overall achievement that is based on character values. Volunteerism is a big part of their criteria. The Distinguished Student Award recipients often work with younger or disadvantage students or people groups, mentoring, etc.

Finding these opportunities for her will fill her needs to have social connections, except her social connections will have strong benefits for all concerned. Working with adults will give her a better chance of not being ridiculed. Peers can be so petty.

I watched my daughter who had some learning difficulties flourish outside a school environment. The girls at school could be wicked. The constant grade competition is inappropriate.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote