View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 10:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post

The high achievers are also the most difficult to get a sound diagnosis of PCS. The professionals see the high functions as 24/7. They do not accept that the high functioning is not the normal or that it is necessary to put extraordinary effort to achieve the high function that was very easy pre PCS.
Mark - I totally agree! I think that is why the concussion clinic dismissed my daughters PCS as psychological/behavioral issues. They looked at the scores from the brief cognitive screening the neuropsychologist did and said she was fine. They told me they had kids functioning in school with lower scores than hers and she should just go to school. They failed to look at her as individual and understand that for HER, the decrease is scores was has having huge impact. I still don't understand why they thought she was "cognitively fine" when she couldn't remember things from day to day. Maybe there definition of cognition is different than mine.

PCSLearner - From what I have read, adolescent girls take the longest to recover from PCS. If you are a high achiever - PCS symptoms are worse. I also agree with you on their lose of identity. That is exactly what my daughter experienced.
nancys is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote