View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 04:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Music-triggered gelastic seizures connected to sound sensitivity?

Greetings. I'm 16 years old and since a few moths back I've been having what can only be described as gelastic seizures (meaning my limbs goes numb, more or less uncontrolled eye movement, I start to jerk my arms uncontrollably and laugh my *** off for no good reason) however I don't fit the criteria perfectly. According to what I've managed to find, gelastic seizures are caused by no apparent reason, but I know exactly what's causing it. It's almost ALWAYS music, and 90% of the time, it's Heavy Metal. I also play the flute and fast, mostly Irish pieces can cause mild seizures as well. Some classical, more epic pieces like "Carmina Burana" might work too. Generally, it's speedy, extreme and epic-sounding music with many "layers" that causes it, like the bands Cradle of filth and Finntroll, or the trigger to my biggest seizure yet, Ensiferum's song "Twilight Tavern". Now, this particular symptom doesn't actually bother me much - it's easy to avoid, usually it's not so bad I can't walk, I don't get them very often(maybe like once very other week) and to tell the truth, I actually like them. It bring the music itself to a whole new level ad I've found that drawing during one of these "seizures" is incredibly fun.

HOWEVER.

I'm also suffering from sound sensitivity. This might seem completely unrelated, but please let me explain. I'm WAY less sensitive to the music that causes the seizures. For example, Heavy Metal. I can listen to it way longer than hip hop without my ears starting to hurt. As I said before, Metal is the main trigger to my seizures, but i have never EVER sz'd while listening to hip hop. Not saying that Metal don't hurt my ears, but I'm actually less sensitive when having a seizure and I'm starting to see a pattern here. I don't know if I even have epilepsy, but if I have and it's the cause of the seizures, is it possible that it might be related to my sound sensitivity? It might just be a coincidence, but it's not completely unreasonable. Besides that, if anyone knows what kind of epilepsy I'm suffering from since I've never heard of gelastic seizures caused by music, please tell me.

I would be grateful for your thoughts, and sorry for the long rant. Thanks in advance,
Maya.
Failkidd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (03-07-2010), southie (06-25-2010)