View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 06:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Started Vit D Yesterday

The timing of this thread couldn't have been better for me. My history is rather complicated, but briefly: I was diagnosed with SFN in early 2005. In late 2007 I started a very quick decline. After a year of multiple tests, and hospitalization in late 2008, finally had Autonomic Testing that revealed moderate Autonomic Dysfunction (CASS score of 6). I was referred to Vandy's neuromuscular clinic. My B12 levels have always been in the mid 500's, but he ran a full B panel, and found that I had a Vit B6 deficiency. He actually expected to find Vit B6 levels too high. Vit B6 is evidently one of rare nutrients that can cause PN by either deficiency or excess, although deficiency is rare.

Between appointments, my mother, who has Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MdDS) was found to have a Vit D deficiency. (She was actually tested for Vit D because of joint pain.) Within weeks of starting Vit D, not only was her pain diminishing, but her MdDS cleared up. She had been 'rocking' for almost 4 years, and suddenly one day the rocking stopped. Her energy levels increased, and when I talked with her she sounded almost giddy. She insisted I get my Vit D checked.

So, at the next appointment I asked the neuro if he would also test Vit D along with the B6. He humored me. The results were 11 ng/mL - an obvious deficiency. Since Vandy is 4 hours away, and his schedule runs 4-5 months out, he suggested I see my GP for treatment. I took the Vandy results to my GP, who ran his own tests.

His nurse called 2 weeks later to tell me that she was mailing my lab results and a prescription for Vit D - that I did, in fact, have a deficiency. Your post, MrsD was a reminder that I had never received them. Thank You! So, I called and asked they be re-mailed. They came yesterday. Vit D was still 11 ng/mL. The prescription is for 50,000 Units once a week.

I spent the better part of yesterday reading through all of your links, and found that in several of your posts you discussed Calcium and/or PtH deficiency as typical with Vit D deficiency. I have kept all of my lab results since the onset of SFN, so looked back at the results for both. I have been tested for Calcium 13 times. It has always been at the high end of the reference range, and three times has been above. Along with the Vit D, my GP also tested Calcium. It was 9.8 with a range of 8.6-10.2. I have only had PtH tested twice. Both times it was within normal ranges.

MrsD, I would like to hear your thoughts about the Calcium levels. I ran other internet searches and could find nothing that would explain. Also, do you think Vit D deficiency may contribute to neuro problems overall?

Thanks again MrsD. If OK, I'll post my progress here.
plgerrard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (03-06-2010)