View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 12:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking on the forums ever since I registered but haven't really posted since I started this thread.

However I now find myself in the midst of a vitamin related problem and wanted to ask your opinion and advice. Basically about a month ago I started feeling very tired, with pretty bad muscle pains and muscle cramps. I went to the doc and he did a cbc and checked my potassium levels and lo and behold I was anemic and with a potassium level of 1.7 (the range being 3.5-5.0). My potassium supplementation was increased and more tests were ran to check if the anemia was iron deficient or not, which it wasn't. Now, the muscle pain and cramps stopped with the extra potassium but the docs ran pretty extensive tests to check for other vitamin levels and it turns out my b6, b12, b9 levels are incredibly low, my vitamin d levels have crashed to a mere 5 (with a range of 50-80), my homocysteine levels are at 30 (with normal levels being below 10), my magnesium levels are low, but calcium levels are pretty high (at 20 with normal levels being anything below 9). Also my albumin/globulin ratio is elevated, my tsh is at 3.9 but my free t3 is elevated and my free t4 is normal (so really what in God's name is my thyroid doing...!!!), my cholesterol is very low and I'm still mildly neutropenic.

I realise that's a lot of information and thank for bearing with me so far!

My docs basically said that there's a chance I'm not absorbing nutrients and wanted to admit me to hospital for yet another series of endoscopies (I'm still undecided about that) but in the meantime they want me to increase my b12, b9, b6 supplement dose so we can bring the homocysteine levels down, they've started me on vitamin d pills and a magnesium supplement. However they really don't know what to make of the thyroid tests and don't really have a long term "plan of action" vitamin wise if my endoscopies are ok yet again. I generally follow a pretty healthy diet and though I don't really eat meat (other than chicken once in a while) I do eat fish and cheese.

Basically I'm wondering if there's anyone here with similar vitamin deficiencies and/or anyone with any ideas on what to do about all this?

Hope you're all doing well!

Ziggy
Ziggy7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote