View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 10:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Just a thought about a question you raised Boann, about the difference between dopamine and agonists in relation to OCD type behaviours. I believe, and I may be wrong in this (as I am certainly no scientist), that they hit different receptors - could this be where the difference lies?

I know this is anecdotal, but I personally know someone for whom
Mirapex caused major havoc. Once eliminated from the drug routine all returned to normal. It was only through knowing about this through the online PD community that the problem was recognised and resolved. Without the information on OCD type side effects I doubt that this particular family would have weathered the storm, financially, emotionally, or personally. It affected more than the person taking the drug. While this may only be an anecdote it has happened to enough people for it to be believeable. I do not think that these drugs should be taken off the market, they are too useful for too many, but I do feel that there should be more education about this aspect of side-effects, and more information at the point that a patient is offered the drug, in the interests of making a well-informed choice.

Lindy
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote