View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 05:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkDizzle View Post
ok truth time... i have been drinking every night for about a year now.. usually 9-12 beers/drinks.. on the weekdays and depending on the weekend i may drink till i just pass out...

i have heard from ppl that i can't just quit cold turkey or i run the risk of bad effects.. ( don't know how true it is )
I just noticed the date that the OP posted this so for them my reply is probably too late. But for anyone in a similar situation, that has been a continual heavy drinker for an extended period of time - going cold turkey can be way more than just feeling really ill and having a monster hangover.

(I have under 10 post so have had to remove the hyperlinks - but I am sure you can find them with google. )

This is what happened to me after taking (I would guess) at least 60-70 units a day for a month.

Day 1 (day time) - Felt extremely ill with constant vomiting.
Day 1 (night time) - Started hallucinating faint sounds of music and voices.
Day 2 (day time) - Slight visual hallucinations, audio hallucinations remain.
Day 2 (night time) - Extreme cold sweats, shaking and what I called 'the fear'
- 'the fear' is when you are constantly on edge and you feel like you adrenal gland is going to pack in with the amount of adrenaline it is filling the body with. (trust me when I say, it is a really nasty feeling)

Now comes the bad part! - You start to feel like there are some form of parasites crawling all over your body, it is actually just muscle twitches but your brain is going into a type of psychosis that make it feel very real.

The next stage... and I don't know the best way to put it.... you literally go mad. You lose all grip on reality. Beyond that if not treated immediately, you will go into seizures then coma, then death!

Luckily I was rushed to hospital before the coma and (obviously! ) death part!

If you really want to stop immediately, I would either go to your local Alcohol clinic or your doctor and request a 5-7 day cycle of Chlordiazepoxide. This stuff is miraculous, and deals with all the withdrawal side effect brilliantly. You will also find that you appetite comes back almost instantaneously.

The one thing about Chlordiazepoxide is that it is highly sedative for the first couple of days, so if you work it would be best to take the week off.