View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 06:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavegeek View Post
This is a bit of an odd question but I was wondering if someone might have an answer. I have recently been diagnosed with trigeminal neuropathy not the classic type TN or ATN. I have constant variable throbbing in my upper molar region on both sides of my face, caused by dental injury. I am trying to find a med that will work but also considering more dental procedures at a later date. Don't know yet if I am a candidate for surgery, probably not. My condition is definetely chronic as I have had it for two years. For arguments sake, if someone has a life long chronic pain condition, TN or other, can it make for a lower life expectancy, meaning can the pain itself lead to chronic or terminal disease, i.e. cancer or heart disease, etc? Would this not be the case if the person who has the chronic pain is otherwise healthy and has no psychological issues? Basically does chronic pain make for a shorter life or is this just a ridiculous question?

First, have you been to an oral surgeon to rule out TMJD? Sounds familiar to me.

Second, people with chronic pain tend to develop MDD (major depressive disorder) and thus have suicidal tendencies. Regardless, the quality of life isn't there generally.

Third, then due to depression, inability to do good self care results in less quality of physical health as well.

I'm sure there's more.
Build a strong support team of doctors and therapists to help you along the way. Remember, you are the chairman of the board, and are paying them for their advice.