View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 11:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Glad you checked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyZ3M View Post

The neuro is going to start my mother on a CR drug fairly shortly. If I understand my mother correctly, the CR drug is going to be taken in conjunction with the original Sinemet 25/100 that she is currently taking. Does that sound right to you guys?

I have been reading all of your posts back to my mother and I know that it brings her great hope. I read her one this afternoon and she completely agreed with the 1/2 life of the medication dosages and trying to determine those exact "times" to take the drugs so that the "crash" is as minimal as possible.

I believe the next neuro appointment is scheduled for April. My father asked the neuro if she was leaning towards a PD diagnosis given the fact that the levodopa / carbidopa started to show some relief for my mother. The neuro said that she is leaning towards that, but she feels it is still too early to tell.

Thanks for the continued support.

Matt
Hey Matt,

I am glad to hear that your mother is doing so well! It sounds as if she has a very astute and caring neurologist; this combo can be difficult to find in many doctors.

I have taken both regular IR (Immediate Release) Sinemet and the CR concurrently. Many times, a half tab or sometimes full tab of the IR is needed in the morning to jumpstart the CR. Do not be surprised if the CR dosage or strength is a little higher at 50/200 - there is sometimes a need for more because of the lower bioavailability of the slow release formulation - this, I think is fairly common.

Does your mother find that her meds tend to fade out at the 2-4 hour mark? I think the CR may give her another hour of relief and help with that fading effect. If you think that she will be using these drugs long term, please check into the generic drug thread that just started- this is something you might want to print out and have for reference down the road.

Sounds like your mother has mad great strides in many ways; it really sounds as if she's recaptured a joie de vivre that was lost. I hope she will continue to make improvements; it's amazing how Sinemet can really give us our lives back- for some of us it's slow and steady, while in others there is a dramatic difference.

Best,

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote