View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default There are two issues being discussed here I believe?

One is about abrupt withdrawal of a med and the other is tolerance and toxicity of any med to any particular patient.
First off, Keep in mind that Physicians [even neurologists] are NOT pharmacologists....those few docs in the WORLD who actually study the effects of meds on patients. Nor should they be. To be updated in ANY specialty could be a full time job? And I've asked docs about this issue? They say too busy trying to help folks than keep up on the 'possibles'.
That said? I am very surprised that any doc would simply 'cold turkey' cut off any med to a patient!
Also? There is the patient's responsibility to READ the info [IF any?] The doc or the pharmacy provides regarding use and withdrawal and ALSO side effects. What I do now? Is ask docs for 'samples' and try it out for s/e's and maybe then order it .....Only after reading all the web site details on 'full prescribing information'... A lot of the goodies, or issues for concern are hidden deep in the details.. As well as issues about this med working with 'that med' well or not... This last part IS important and can cause you major trouble or cancel effects of one or both or more meds! THIS part is up to YOU!
Honestly? IF you like this doc? Be honest w/him-her next time you see them! ASK why did you go off normal procedures of w/drawal of this med? See the response on their face and also Have an alternative 'back-up doc' in mind when you ask this question. In 95%? I think of the instances it's not life-threatening? But it's sure not a great way to experience life!
For my own experiences? I felt the some of these meds helped at first. Then there was some psychological dependency? and when dosages increased results were less than pleasant. [docs orders to increase] Tried many meds, and the last worked for 3 years well, then no more effect. So? I live in some pain? I am getting used to it but it's a good barometer as to what and how I really feel. At least, drug free? I can speak and write in somewhat complete sentences! For that I am grateful! Keep faith in yourself and there mite just be a med out there that CAN help! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote