View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 12:40 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My son has been successfully treated with zyprexa since the age of 6. (he just turned 10) Before that, school, home, and life was a nightmare. We tried everything before deciding to medicate, but nothing worked until he was successfully on medication, and then he was a different child. It was exactly what he needed to be given the chance at a normal childhood with friends, activities, school, and home. There are, of course, the possibility of side affects, but I know exactly where you are coming from on weighing those against the benefits. The benefits of medication far outweighed the decision to not, and I will never regret our decision to medicate.

I will say that he is very sensitive to medications; both over the counter and prescription, and we are very careful about what is prescribed to him. I would suggest keeping a journal of every OTC/prescription med you try, the effect, what other meds he was on at the time, and the reason he was using it. It makes it much easier to decide what would be ok to use in the future, as well as what to avoid.

I would avoid St. John's Wart as well as Sam-E for your child unless given under the strict supervision of his doctor. Any herb, supplement that is used for depression related issues has the potential of mania. There is a warning on the bottles stating that people with bipolar should not use. (should not be given to patients with bipolar disorder as it may result in mania or hypomania.) Bipolar children seem to be extremely affected by meds and supplements (different ones for different kids) so it would be wise to discuss any decision to try any new OTC or Prescriptions/supplements with his doctor first.

As for your son's education; was he given proper IEP accomodations? Were they followed? Is there a more appropriate setting, or a certified home study teacher that the school district could provide until such time as he is ready for a mainstream classroom? They are required by law to provide a free and appropriate education, regardless of whether he is currently able to be in a classroom setting; despite the fact they would never offer this information or assist you in getting it for him. If you need help with any information regarding this, or resources / advocates in your area, please feel free to contact me. I do this for a living and would be happy to help.

Good luck. Things will eventually get better - even though its hard to see the light when things are so hard. Lordy I dont miss those days; I feel for you.
Bobi