View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

As one of those who has a high IQ and also has observed others with high IQ's, I think a high IQ may be a side effect of some brain dysfunctions.

I find that those with high IQ's suffer from far more psychiatric and psychological problems that those with IQ's closer to the average. Many of them have OCD like behaviors, bi-polar affective disorder, poor tolerance levels, and a variety of social functioning problems.

The wake of destruction they tend to leave behind is more pronounced that the average person. I have always considered my intelligence to be a two edged sword. I bet there are plenty who observe my posts who agree with me.

The ability to quickly memorize information is great. The problem is that vast library of information also wants to spout out at inopportune times. This is the social difficulty area.

Over the years, I have learned to hold back even more of what my mind wants to say. My PCS is a big help, as I can think faster that my mouth can arrange the words. I knowing how I often start blabbing nonsense as my mouth tries to keep up with my brain, so I have learned to be slower to respond.

People will comment about my responses. I will often tell them that I held back far more that I spoke. This habit has been diagnosed by a psychologist as schizoid.

With PCS, I have to limit the over-stimulation. As I do this, I lessen the temptation to over-respond.

I am curious if others have had to go through this introspective analysis and moderated their commenting.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote