View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

One thing I know for sure in life is we should not have our children live through our eyes. They have to choose their own direction and we are there to encourage and hope they make the decisions that are right for them. As long as my children are happy I am happy for them. If they make mistakes, they learn from them. Like Debbie said, it's nice to sit back and watch them spread their wings and become the adults we raised them to be, independent and productive adults.

Now, that's not to say I didn't advise if I felt they may be taking a route they haven't researched. For example, my youngest thought about being a lawyer. He is a great debater but hates being wrong. I don't think he'd be happy with that in court. haha Then he went to a complete opposite major and wanted to be a nurse. He's a gifted child but lacks some common sense so not sure that would have worked either. I didn't tell him not to do it but rather I brought up things he did not think about.

So, he decided to go into business which he absolutely loves. One year into college he decided to change his major. He called me and asked what I thought about being a finance major. I told him it was not my decision and that he had to decide what would make him happy. He chose to change his major and he is so happy he did. That boy will be our next Donald Trump.

Oh he still tries to get us to help him decide things but we tell him we know he'll make the right decisions. He's 21 and I have always told both my boys when they reach the age of 18 they are adults and mom and dad will treat them as such. Made them a little nervous but so far they have done well. Oh and they pay their way for everything except their cell phones.
barb02 (03-09-2010), Debbie D (03-09-2010), tkrik (03-09-2010)