View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Tyson, I would see that cardio as soon as you can. The problem with an ECG and an echo is that it sees the structure of your heart but it does not tell you if there is a problem somewhere else, like in an artery. And it doesn't tell you how your heart, etc. does while under stress (like with a stress test!). There are other tests like an ankle-brachial index that is simply a BP taken on your ankles and arms. There is a carotid artery ultrasound. There is listening to parts of your circulatory system a cardio can do. They can check your hydration level by doing serum and/or urine osmolality. Just because they said the echo was fine does not mean you are fine.

Does your oxygen saturation drop when you have pain? When you walk? These are the kind of things you should write down. You can get an inexpensive oximeter from Amazon.com but I would make sure you read the return policies just in case.

There are other reasons for chest pain. Go over everything you can with the cardio. Do not be "discouraged" because they didn't find anything wrong with your heart. It's fantastic to have a good heart!

An internist should be able to look at your situation from all the "body systems" and figure out what is going on. I am assuming they have rechecked your erythrocyte sedimentation rate, c-reactive protein, fibrinogen and pro-time.

Take time and list everything. When you started Accutane and when you went off of it. When you started every drug you're taking, doses, etc. What ALL of your symptoms are. It takes less time for a doctor to read a list than to hear you say all that.

You have a medical problem that needs solving. That means that you need to bring with you as many "clues" as you can for whatever doctor you see. Don't bring a cardiologist only heart clues. All doctors need to know everything about your health. You never know which one may be the one to figure it all out.

I cannot imagine how I would've dealt with all this at age 17. You are doing great at it. Keep documenting and asking questions. Get your medical/test records, just in case they aren't telling you everything because you are a "minor." They can legally do that, by the way.

And you always have to look at drugs as a cause of any symptom. They often are the culprits.

I hope you get answer soon. Please take it easy in the meantime. Go right back in if you feel you need to. Don't let a negative test keep you from listening to your instincts. Something is going on.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote