View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 11:25 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Nutritional Deficiencies

Hello,

I have had idiopathic PN for about 6 years. Recently, I went to a MD who helps me with menopause issues but he is also interested in the PN. He recommended that I take a blood test called Spectracell. It cost $300 so it wasn't cheap, but it is supposed to tell you what vitamins/minerals/amino acids etc you are deficient in.

I got the results and I wanted to share this with you all to see if it is something that may help any of us.

First, I have nothing to do with this company.

Here is their methodology:

"Overview of test procedure

1. a mixture of lymphocytes is isolated from the blood
2. these cells are grown in a defined culture medium containing optimal levels of all essential nutrients necessary to sustain their growth in cell culture
3. the T-lymphocytes are stimulated to grow with a mitogen (phytohemagglutinin) and growth is measured by the incorporation of tritiated (radioactive) thymidine into the DNA of the cells

The growth response under optimal conditions is defined as 100%, and all other growth rates are compared to this 100% level of growth.

For example - we remove vitamin B6 from the medium and stimulate the cells to grow by mitogen stimulation. Growth is measured by DNA synthesis and the rate of growth is dependent only upon the functional level of vitamin B6 available within the cells to support growth. For vitamin B6 a growth rate of at least 55% of the growth rate observed in the optimal (100%) media is considered normal. Results less than 55% are considered to indicate a functional deficiency for vitamin B6. Each nutrient has a different reference range that was established by assaying thousands of apparently healthy individuals."

I think that this test more accurately reflects how our bodies are processing these nutrients....at least in my non-scientific mind!

So my results showed deficiencies in:

Oleic Acid, Chromium, Calcium, CoQ10, and Glucose Insulin Interaction.

I do not regularly take any vitamins/minerals. I am on Neurontin and Baclofen.

I have a new order coming in from Iherb.com and it is nice to be able to actually take a nutrient that I know I am deficient in, rather than guessing.

The test reports on:

B Complex Vitamins
Amino Acids
Metabolites
Fatty Acids
Vitamins D,A & K2
Calcium, Zinc, Copper & Magnesium
Carbohydrate Metabolism (Glucose-Insulin Interaction, Fructose Sensitivity, and Chromium
Antioxidants

So take it for what its worth....I just wanted to let you all know that this test is available.

Any thoughts?

Ann
ann-elizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote