View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Spoke to my neuro at length today on the phone. He said there are just some things technology hasnt caught up to, and the human body is one of them.

We can slide a patient into an open MRI and see 2 lesions. Then slide the same patient on the same day into an old fashioned closed MRI and see 7 lesions. Then take the same patient, same day into a Telsa 5 MRI and see 15 lesions. If we could slide each patient into a Telsa 7 machine, we would see layer, upon layer, upon layer of lesions. For this moment in time, we simply cant count on the machines to give us the total picture. We must use that as the tool it was intended to be.

We must use a patient history, a physical, a full exam! and blood test, along with the MRI to hopefully spell out a good idea of what is going on. Does this mean we are gonna see clearly into each patient each time? nope! It just means that based on that patients history, and the current information in front of us, we know that probably what is happening to Dejibo is that her brain is under attack, but the current pictures show that its not this huge dramatic explosion that would make us want to crack her skull open and go in for a closer look. it means that a lower level of disease is there, pecking away, and doing its best to make a lousy day.

He was very kind, very patient, and his story helped me understand that just because the MRI didnt show the explosion that I feel, doesnt mean it isnt happening on some lower level or that the lesions are just too light weight to show up on this level of machinery.

I love my MS team! They really go the extra mile to help me understand, even when its frustrating and hard.

Thanks you guys for letting me know Im not alone in this mess.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (03-11-2010), gonnamakeit (03-11-2010), Jules A (03-10-2010), Koala77 (03-10-2010), Lady (03-14-2010), RedPenguins (03-10-2010), TwoKidsTwoCats (03-10-2010)