View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 08:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Not sure

I never heard of Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia until yesterday. A few days ago I had dull pain in the back left portion of my tongue. Then suddenly yesterday morning I felt a stabbing pain when I swallowed, right where the hard palate and soft palate meet (also on the left side). The pain shoots to my left ear. When pressure is put on the area it automatically causes a shooting pain (so I try to not touch the area). The same thing happens when a q-tip is pressed lightly to the back of my throat. If I grin or yawn it also happens. I tried Tylenol with absolutely no relief.
The shooting pain made me feel like I was going to pass out so I went to the on-call doctor at my clinic. He checked me out, didn't find any signs of viral or bacterial infection. He said it seems like GN. I am only 27.
Looking back I have had excruciating shooting pains in my left ear on and off (about 4-6 times a year, lasting 1-2 weeks) for the last 3 years. It was always localized to my ear and throat. It never involved this mouth and tongue pain. I had gone to my doctor, an allergist, and an ENT, but they always just prescribed antibiotics and sent me on my way. I did read on some sites that GN is progressive. Could my previous ear/throat pain be related to my current pain? Does this all seem similar to anyone else's experience? Does this sound nothing like how GN happens?

Thanks!
nemily is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote