View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 12:45 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I agree JD that if someone hasn't paid old debts within 10 years, they probably aren't able to or intending to, but I disagree that the government should then give them more money via SSDI.

In theory I absolutely agree that SSDI should withhold monies to pay off some debts. If I scammed out of paying back my student loans, they should take money away from my monthly SSDI amount, IMO. BUT......and this is a huge BUT...they do need to have some kind of provisions in place for loans that are still in dispute, like the ones listed in that article. I don't think SSDI should be able to say......."Oh yeah, we just discovered this old debt from fraud from 20 years ago that you are just hearing about now and we are going to withhold money from your check next month."

Just to lighten the mood......I would pay big money to see an episode of Judge Judy going off on that scummy grandaughter who forged grandma's name !

There were things I didn't understand about that case. I understand the difference between the forgery and the identity theft issue, but when was this discovered ? I think if Grandma discovered the forgery and tried to press charges, but couldn't because the statute of limitations was up, then the loan company should have to go after granddaughter. If Grandma learned about it and said "Oh well, she was just a kid" and ignored the requests for payment, then maybe she should be responsible for part of the loan.
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
smae (09-22-2010)