View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

This article is probably the most complete I has seen. It misses one very important point.

It is of great value to understand and define the symptoms. The general symptoms can be journaled first. As a pattern of symptoms become evident, they can start to be tracked individually. Such symptoms would include:

Physical symptooms:
headaches,
dizziness,
nausea,
sleepiness/drowsiness

Emotional/psychological symptoms:
anxiety,
depression,
outbursts of anger
emotional lability/crying from minimal stimulation

Cognitive symptoms:
memory struggles
multi-tasking difficulties
decreased digit span
multi-step processing difficulties
visual overload / to much visual stimulation to process
sensitive to bright lights
auditory overload / too many sounds to process
short focus / attention span
zoning out / absence seizure
difficulties remembering / recognizing time sequencing / passage of time

Motor control symptoms
fine motor control
difficulty with fine motor control/writing-printing
shaking or tremors
gross motor control
clumsiness
awkward walking gait

This is a non-professional list but is representative of many of the symptoms experienced by a PCS subject.

Once the symptoms are identified individually, daily tasks can be moderated to accommodate the more problem-some symptoms.

It is very helpful to break down the symptoms to reduce the chaotic frustration with daily challenges. Three symptoms together can cause serious frustration. It is easier to look at each symptom individually

For example, clumsiness or awkward walking gait can be accommodated by stopping at a stair case and focusing on the task of walking up or down the stairs. This might mean stopping a conversation, finding and grabbing a hand-rail, etc. The idea is based on the need to "stop and think."

Reading a book or more likely reading a set of instructions will likely require this "stop to think" process.

I have a motor difficulty that requires that I hesitate before I get up from a sitting position. It is sort of like I need to get my balance or orientation, take a breath and then stand up. It I attempt to do it too quickly, I tend to stumble or lose my balance.

The same is true for many complex though needs. I need to stop (stop walking, thinking about something else, turn off a radio, reduce any distractions), focus on the new topic, and try to resolve the thought.

When these symptoms are understood, the reintroduction into a normal days activities is based on the level of the different symptoms. Motor control may be doing well but cognitive thought issues may be a struggle. The day is moderated accordingly.

Feel free to add any symptoms to my list. I am sure others have a few more to add.

With this understanding of symptoms, activities during recovery can be individually moderated rather than limited completely as mentioned in the article.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote