View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 10:07 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkell View Post
My introduction to PD was in 1980 when my mother-in-law was diagnosed. By the summer of 1984 she had lost her ability to walk, her ability to recognize anyone in her family and her ability to care for even her most basic functions and then she died.

Imagine my delight upon developing similar symptoms nearly 20 years later. I was so afraid of going through the same disintegration that she did that I did not seek confirmation of my self-diagnosis for several years.

When I related my story to my diagnosing MDS he said, in no uncertain terms, that she had not had PD. She possibly had MSA or PSP or some other such illness but not PD.

I was not convinced but after 10 years I am still up and going. I have stopped worrying about how soon I will be incapacitated. In fact, it has only been in the last year that I have consciously given up the denial and accepted that I really do have PD. I think the best thing you can do is let it go and go back to enjoying your life. You will progress how you progress. Worrying about it will only hasten it. Stay engaged and involve yourself in a project that you have passion for.

PD is sneaky and will grab you when you least expect it, but it is slow moving and things rarely happen in quick progressions so you have time to adjust between changes. Some days are good and some are bad but your own attitude will be more important than anything in determining how many of which you have.

Enjoy yourself as much as possible and don't forget to laugh.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. It's actually my husband who has been diagnosed with PD, and we're both scared of the future, although I'm much more vocal about it!

It really doesn't do to read articles such as the one in question, because, as I'm beginning to realise, everyone is so very different.

I do appreciate your response very much though - it has helped greatly.

Kind regards.
budgies is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote