View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Abby, Yes, the "other kind" of double vision is monocular, which does not go away if you close one eye.

There are a lot of muscles in and around the eye. When they get weak, they change the "focus" of the eyes. I was lucky to have gone to a neuro-ophthalmologist who explained a lot of this to me. I didn't know I had DV. He did a few tests where two horizontal (and vertical at one point) lines that were parallel and perfectly aligned weren't when I looked at them. Objects look "uneven" when the muscles of your eyes are weak and don't focus well. He also had me look at only one object. It was a pretty freaky experience. I thought my astigmatism was causing the blurry vision I had.

Like this.

_____
bbb_____

I had to put some letters before the line to make it work! Ignore the letters.

After I go out and do anything, my entire face droops and I can feel it. Think of muscles on a spectrum from strong to paralyzed. Have you ever had an arm go numb while sleeping? MG isn't about nerve sensations but that feeling of "heaviness" is pretty much the same, just different causes. That's why some people, even doctors, confuse MS and MG.

Yes, cold helps but just not too cold or you can get cold-induced injury to your nerves. Something else a doctor told me.

All sounds like MG, Abby!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Stellatum (03-11-2010)