Thread: Jaw Infection?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 05:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you Bryanna.

My feelings were the same as yours in that I felt it was a separate pain issue from that of TMJ problems. However, as time is going on, it is not getting any worse. In fact, it is slightly improved and I now only occasionally need to take pain killers because of it. I guess if the bone or socket were infected I would be a lot worse. I have been to have impressions taken of my teeth for a splint, but the waiting lists are so long it is mid-May before I will get it. I need to give that a shot and see what difference that makes to the discomfort in the jaw. In the meantime, I am mostly reassured that the socket and jaw have healed, or are healing normally. I won't be entirely convinced until I have no pain left, but I guess that is perhaps unrealistic considering the amount of jaw bone that was taken away. e.g. I fell and hurt my leg over a year ago and was told I had "bruised the bone" and it still hurts sometimes, so maybe it's just the same kind of thing - like a scar, I suppose - it never completely goes away. I just wish I had known that before I got the wisdom tooth taken out, or I might not have bothered!

Thanks for your help and support. I'll let you know if anything changes.

Take care.

Jasmine x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Jasmine,

I may be wrong, but your description of the events that have taken place along with your current pain sounds to me like there is a lingering problem in your lower jawbone. Yes, the pain could be aggravated by your TMJ disorder...... but that is a separate issue from any lack of healing that may be going on from the infection that you had brewing in that surgical socket after the extraction.

I'm not sure why your OS told you he has never come across a patient who has had lingering pain from an extraction, especially a wisdom tooth extraction. The only thing I can say is perhaps he does not see patients for long term follow up care? I'm in dentistry for over 30 years also and have been the surgical assist on many, many hundreds of patients. I have also cared for these patients post operatively and without any question, I have seen many hundreds of patients with post op complications months to years after they've had an extraction. So this is definitely not a rare occurance as you were led to believe. At least not in dental offices that diagnostically investigate the pain that their patients come in complaining about.

I guess health care is very different in the UK than it is in the USA and I am not familiar with it at all. However, if it were me, I would make every effort to find someone who is willing to investigate your concerns further.

I found this info in a quick google search. Perhaps it is somewhat helpful or can lead you to something else that is?? You can call the IAOMT and ask for a dentist in your area. They may be able to help you.

The dentists listed below are from the internet..... I have no idea about their reputation.

the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology, Huddersfield, on (01484) 514451

Wright, Stewart BDS
George Square Dental Centre, 6 George Square
Greenock, Renfrewshire, International PA15 1QP
Phone: 044-1475631010
Fax: -

White, Andrew DDS
630 High Road, Finchley,
London, International NI2 ONU
Phone: 208-492-0020
Fax: 208-445-3537

Please know that you are not alone with this situation at all. It is not your imagination and I really believe it should be evaluated more thoroughly.

I will keep looking for you....... please keep in touch and let me know what you come up with!

Bryanna
Jasmine33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote