View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 07:07 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Nemily,

I had a couple of short term experiences maybe a year apart before GN became more prominant in my life. I assumed that it was linked to throat infections and I was only diagnosed with GN about 2 years ago. I dont seem to get pain from pressure on a certain point though i have heard that this happens with some people. Mine is triggered by swallowing, yawning, laughing, sneezing and more lately the most common trigger is talking. I am currently pretty much pain free with my current medication (Neurontin) and have been for about 6 weeks now. Though i have been feeling a bit of an irritated feeling in the back left side of my throat a bit lately and am a bit freaked that it might be coming back.

I had episodes on an off for some time before I went down the medication path.

I have also had periods where i have had more of a chronic ache rather than the spikey pain. All sorts of effects! but always on the left side in a similar spot to you.

So your symptons do sound consisent with a GN diagnosis, but if that is what it turns out to be dont panic. There are medications that seem to work and many people have significant periods of being pain free even without medication. My neurologist (who hasnt actually come across someone with GN before me) has done some research on surgical interventions and says that this is successful for many people. I am keeping that one up my sleeve in case the meds stop working.

Good luck! it has helped me to know that others have had a similar experience as it is pretty hard to explain to someone who hasnt been there. I hope it helps you too.
Mrs_Bennet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote