View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

The one thiing I regret more than anything in my life is not stayiing with my mom the last day of her life.
She was in the hospital, and was told 3 days before that she had terminal lung cancer-6 months at most. DH & I went to visit her that Sunday, and she couldn't even lift her head off of the pillow. I was supposed to check her out of the place that day-DH and I were going to move in with her and care for her (even though I was 6 mos. pregnant).
Anyway, she told me I didn't have to stay, that she was just going to rest. I told her we'd be at the inlaws'...that evening, the inlaws DH and I were playing cards and I kept getting the urge to go visit my mom, but I didn't listen.
The next morning I called to see how she was doing. The nurse said, "Oh, she died at 4:30 this morning." (My sister didn't bother to put my name and phone number as a contact).
To this day, I remember looking into my mom's eyes that last time...I always wondered if she knew. My sister said she went to see her that afternoon...my mom was sleeping, and my sister was quietly crying. My mom reached out to her hand and said, "Don't worry, sweetie...it won't be long now."
She didn't want to be a burden to me...and so I think she just gave up. I was 20...and I still miss her every single day.
FaithS (03-12-2010), gonnamakeit (03-13-2010), hollym (03-12-2010), karilann (03-13-2010), Kitty (03-12-2010), legzzalot (03-12-2010), SallyC (03-12-2010), tamiloo (03-14-2010)