View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 03:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

daylilyfan

I applied last year at age 53, did the application on my own and was approved in the first round. I'm from Tennessee, and when I applied Tennessee had the 4th highest denial rate in the nation. I do not have RSD, my application was based on peripheral neuropathy, as well as other conditions. I notice that you have more than one physical disorder as well.

Your age and your combined health issues are all something that work in your favor. The conditions in the Listing of Impairments are those that are considered severe enough, or expected to last long enough (over 12 months) to be considered disabling. That is not to say that a condition not in the listing of impairments will not also be severe enough. Or, the combination of impairments be severe enough.

For people over 50, SSA works off a vocational grid that is based on age, physical limitations, education and prior work history. You can see an easy to understand version of the grid here:

http://www.gridrules.net/index.html

Take a look at the Social Security website: www.ssa.gov and some of their information on how to file. If you are unsure, I would recommend an attorney. But, don't think that just because your condition isn't on their Listing of Impairments you will automatically be denied. I think considering you age and history, you stand a better than average chance - especially with an experienced attorney.

My SFN story:
plgerrard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
daylilyfan (03-13-2010), Kakimbo (03-12-2010)