View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 12:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have primary reading epilepsy too. I'm not exactly sure when it started, but I was diagnosed with it about a year ago, I'm 17 years old now and not in school anymore.

You're not alone on the jaw twitches, I get exactly the same thing. I don't know if you get this, but sometimes when the twitches are going, you'll come upon a word and the twitches won't let you finish the word, or even comprehend it, unless you look away, calm down for a second, and then try to read it again. It's really freaking annoying and embarassing.

I didn't really think of it as a problem until I had a full blown seizure in the middle of English while reading a book. That was probably about a year ago, and I haven't had a seizure since. It almost happened again when I was reading out loud in History, but I think my teacher noticed that something was wrong because I was having a really bad anxiety attack and could barely breathe, so she told me to stop. I was just paranoid that the twitches were gonna start while I was reading and everyone was going to hear me stutter.

Eventually I dropped out, there's just too much reading and language involved in getting a good education, even now as I'm typing this the twitches are going. My Neurologist just prescribed me a pill (no surprise there) called Depakote that's supposed to prevent me from having seizures and stop the twitches. Of course it doesn't work, but I'm not going back to that place, they don't really care about you, everytime I see a doctor they just prescribe me some damn pill that's supposed to magically solve all my problems.. All they care about is getting me out of there as fast as they can so they can free up their schedule for other patients.

It really is one of the more *** up epilepsy cases, when you can't do something as simple as reading..
brad775 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote