View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 03:10 AM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I decided to order the newest free Ubuntu CD and I like it too, better that the Kubuntu.

These are "live" cds - meaning you can put them in the cd drive and boot your commuter using it that way.
But your computer has to be set check the cd drives first before booting from the hard drive.

But you can use & explore the live cds with out making any changes to your system. It will run slower since it is running from the cd drive, when installed it runs much smoother & quicker.

If you install it for a dual boot use , it will import your files and settings from Windows!.
My bookmarks, pictures and documents all got copied over to Ubuntu.

This is a totally new thing, trying to get everything transferred was one of the main problems with moving between Windows & a Linux system.
I also found & downloaded 4 finance programs to try out and they can import Quicken files. So I'll see if any will work for me.

If you want to find out more there are books with cds in libraries, or order the CD and read online about Linux while you wait for it to arrive.

[Requesting an Ubuntu CD

Ubuntu is available free of charge and we can send you a CD of the latest version (9.10 (Karmic Koala)) with no extra cost, but the delivery may take up to ten weeks, so you should consider downloading the CD image if you have a fast Internet connection. ]
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

I ordered one before the holidays so it took quite awhile but this newest one took only 2 weeks or so to get here.

Last edited by Jomar; 03-13-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: typo
Jomar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
plgerrard (03-13-2010)