View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 10:19 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default thanks everyone

I really appreciate all the responses. Lets see if I can reply to everyone.

About getting an attorney... Since SS determines how much they make - the one I talked to said the reason a person can't find a lawyer to help right from the start (perhaps this is in Ohio only?) is that they are by law only allowed to take from your back pay. So, for instance, I have only been out of work for 3 months. I would have no back pay, because I have not completed the waiting period yet. So if I got a decision right away, there would be nothing the lawyer could collect for their time. I offered to pay to come in for a consult, but he could not do that by law. He did talk to me over the phone for nearly an hour though... was VERY helpful. So, it seems I need to apply on my own, then if I get denied, I can hire him.

RNcrps2 - I don't feel like it is giving up. For me, as the RSD takes over more areas, it has become so difficult to work, that I was not doing a good job at all. I made it to work everyday, but it was taking me 4 times longer to do my work than co-workers, and that is not like me. My thinking has really gone down hill, plus dealing with being in pain.

Jimking - I am getting all my doctors detailed records now in preparation for applying. The lawyer said that they do not go by the date you applied, but by your last date you worked. My trade was working in the printing industry. I did "pre-press"... worked in Photoshop, did design, grahic layout etc. Printers are going out of business right and left where I live. I worked for one of the most progressive, forward thinking printers in a tri state area, and they owned all their equipment, building etc... and they are really struggling.
I will check out the lawyer's book pdf later today.

Edever34, I think having RSD should be an automatic illness. No one understands what it is like to deal with this God awful pain

plgerrard
PN is one of the approved diseases for SS. I wonder if that had anything to do with you getting it right away.
I did look at your grid link. Very helpful. I am not sure what is meant by skills being transferable. I have a lot of pain lifting a gallon of milk, so I buy it in half gallons. A gal. weighs 9 lbs. It says your sedintary if you can't lift 10 lbs occasionally during the day. Sounds like I need to make sure my doc puts in that I cannot lift that... then I should qualify. I have looked at much of the SS website, as well as what seems like a thousand other websites.

gabbycakes - the lawyer I talked to said that I should hear something within 3-4 months then call him right away if I am denied.
I do have my elderly Mom living with me. As long as she is living, we have her SS and retirement. It will just barely cover our expenses if we watch VERY carefully what we spend.

cindi1965- I have had contact with my area's state senator. He's a great guy. Once I have all my records and my application ready, I will get in touch with him.

AlaskaMike - my family lawyer told me that I won't be able to find a reputable SS lawyer to take my case until I have been denied on my own. She gave me the name of the lawyer I talked to. She said he is really good and will stay on top of things. She said many SSD lawyers drag their feet because it makes them more money.
---------
Someone mentioned SSI... I don't qualify for that. I still have COBRA and am still getting unemployment at this point.

Jules
daylilyfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote