Thread: confussed
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 12:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeasitis View Post
My question is this I know of a friend who has been on social security for abour four years from a stroke. Her speach is not quite back and she is still walking one sided. Yet she insist on trying to go back to college. That was one of her dreams. She is 54 now. I dont know anything about social security but my worse fear is that they try to stop her benefits. Is this possible
I so agree that we *need* to go for our dreams! But I remember how hard it was for me to get SSDI. It seems they will do anything to avoid doing so. But this is the thing that may be key. One of the best SSDI lawyers I know always says this. Along with whatever health condition, a person has to be able to sustain FULL TIME work, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week to be disqualified from getting SSDI benefits. At least that's how it works when one is applying for SSDI, and I don't see how that would be different after one gets SSDI. And it doesn't sound like that's possible from what you say. But if someone can do ANY kind of work, even if it's just counting bottle-caps, 8 hours a day, than they won't qualify for benefits. At least that's my understanding.

Even though I had to fight to get benefits, if I ever have a dream again, and whatever it takes to pursue it inside me, I would want my friend to give me all the support they could possibly muster. It's been way too long since I had a dream that felt doable with these health issues causing road blocks everywhere I look. Besides, there's never enough people offering support, ya know what i mean?
You could google disability lawyer websites. I know at least one that is chock full of information about the process of getting benefits, health conditions that qualify, and don't qualify, and what to expect down the road after one receives benefits.
It's wonderful that you are looking out for about your friend's welfare.
Just my 2 cents.
Sunrise
Sunrise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote