View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 07:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ I think the surgeons who said you needed cervical surgery are nuts IF your MRI said you only had cervical "degeneration." If that's all it said, it is NOT critical. If it says you have cord compression, then YES it is critical. But degeneration just means that the discs are dried out and probably the disc space height isn't maintained. There "might" possibly be some bulging too, but if it doesn't say anything about herniation or cord compression, they're nuts. They just want to do surgery and get the money. THAT DOES HAPPEN YA KNOW.

One thing I want you to know about fusion too, is that after fusion many times the levels above and below become unstable and will end up herniating. Then you're back where you started and will be back in the operating room somewhere down the line. The sometimes happens with decompression surgery too, like it did me. I didn' have fusion after i had L4-5 decompressed and had to have L3-4 done. Now both those levels have re-herniated cause you know they don't take the whole disc out ~ just the part that is herniated. So I'm herniated again, but they can't do surgery on me cause my whole spine is shot and I'm inoperable.

Just wanted to warn you. Also don't expect ANY surgery to ease your pain. Surgery isn't intended to ease pain ~ it only fixes mechanical problems. So don't go into surgery expecting your pain to be eased cause you may have the same pain or more. If you've had the sciatica for a long time, you will still have it. i've had mine for 24 years, because if it's long-standing, the nerve has been damaged. sorry to be the bearer of bad news. God bless and take care. Peace, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote