View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 08:14 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't think that is true though. I think there is a lot it depends on. I have heard many say their neuropathic symptoms disappeared after going gluten free. Sometimes when glutened, they will return with a vengeance, only to disappear after the glutening ends.

Have you had your B12 level checked? Even if you go gluten free, if your B12level is too low, the neuropathy may not go away. Gluten intolerance causes many issues..the gluten is the beginning, the other symptoms are often branches to the original problem. Many friends have no neuropathy symptoms...I on the other hand have sensory small fiber neuropathy and have been gluten free for nearly 10 yrs. I didn't know about B12 though until 6 yrs ago.

I must say though, you can not be a little gluten free, or almost gluten free, this is an all or nothing lifestyle. If you have been strict for 6 weeks, it may still take more time to feel lots better. Everyone heals on their own time frame.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote