View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

JD,

What I meant is that on a forum like this, everyone has an opinion. Many are more interested is sharing their own opinions that hearing others opinions.

Some are a also sensitive to anything that conflicts with their opinion.

Even saying 'From what I've read' or 'In my experience' or 'studies show' is often not enough of a qualifier to remove the sting from a comment that goes against someone else's comment. Egos can be so fragile.

I have a number of personal acquaintances that have sensitive egos. I have learned to not comment against them except when it is to prevent a greater ill, like when someone is intending on acting on their false or erroneous information. In that situation, I try to offer my comment privately.

A big problem can come from presenting anecdotal comments versus comments based on solid research methodology.

The internet has muddied the waters by making publishing easy. Just because someone has published their case study does not make it a valid case study.

Many times, opinions and other comments are not heard by the audience anyway. So making waves is of little use.

Case in point, Dr Diane (Stohler) has extensive written about recovery to high levels. If this is taken out of context, it sounds like she is an expert at saying high levels of recovery are to be expected by all. If you read her work with a more critical eye, you will see that she also talks about mourning the loss of the 'old you.'

This is intended to put recovery into perspective. She is not trying to say that we can recover to the 'old you,' but that we can regain many of the functions of the 'old you,' even if in a different way. We recover to the 'new you.'

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote