View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 08:36 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default with helps from the system and negligent lawyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPhD View Post
After years of denying my TBI (with helps from the system and negligent lawyers) I find that this explains so much more and better than I have been able to ... and I think it helps others allow for me, knowing TBI isn't a mental disorder! But how do you convey your basics of TBI issues to others? Such as:

Problems vary depending on the location and severity of the injury to the brain and may include the following:

* Trouble concentrating when there are distractions (e.g., carrying on a conversation in a noisy restaurant or working on a few tasks at once).
* Slower processing or "taking in" of new information. Longer messages may have to be "chunked," or broken down into smaller pieces. The person may have to repeat/rehearse messages to make sure he or she has processed the crucial information. Communication partners may have to slow down their rate of speech.
* Problems with recent memory. New learning can be difficult. Long-term memory for events and things that occurred before the injury, however, is generally unaffected (e.g., the person will remember names of friends and family).
* Executive functioning problems. The person may have trouble starting tasks and setting goals to complete them. Planning and organizing a task is an effort, and it is difficult to self-evaluate work. Individuals often seem disorganized and need the assistance of families and friends. They also may have difficulty solving problems, and they may react impulsively (without thinking first) to situations.

and

The person may have trouble with social communication, including:

* taking turns in conversation
* maintaining a topic of conversation
* using an appropriate tone of voice
* interpreting the subtleties of conversation (e.g., the difference between sarcasm and a serious statement)
* responding to facial expressions and body language
* keeping up with others in a fast-paced conversation
with helps from the system and negligent lawyers

a system that expects complete recovery, eg return to work and every thing in the garden is Rossie, but a world that only wants Results not problems .and down grades pay and status according to the market, lawyers who fail to claim for the long term effects of the above and settle for less, so there balance books reflect success , a system of care that pushes, victims of TBI, into this pit fall with well meaning intentions , to meet there target of the healed and working. but succeeding only passing the problem on to other agencies. EG mental health , the criminal justice system , and welfare

Ring true !!! name no names, but tell us your tale so other may avoid the pit fall,s
vini is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lucy (03-15-2010)