View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 09:23 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Cost of Duodopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchapman View Post
From my personal experience, I continue to have a small amount of moisture, but I shower every day, I was also treated by local nurses who kept a watchful eye on me for few months. Now I am back to swimming to keep fit. Try to keep life at a manageable pace. Yes this is a new way of treating my parkinson's symptoms. But the medication isn't.Everyone of us are different, with our own responses to treatments. For my part a tube through the stomach is the last thing to worry about, pre Duodopa I was on the floor or on my bed, off, rigid etc This I refer to as the darkside of my PD. Hope this helps.
Chris and others who are in clinical trilas or treated with Duodopa, can you share with us info on costs for this treatment and how readily it is prescribed?
I have heard rumors that Solvay (now Abbott) was treating this as an end phase, nursing home bed, last resort treatment due to high maintenance costs. Yet on their web site they show active people and tout how it really gives patients a sense of freedom; a far cry from withholding treatment until end stage disease. Other rumor is that the pump will only be considered by doctors in patients who do not meet criteria for DBS...in other words, brain surgery would be the preferred course of pump inusion!? This has never mad any sense to me. Anyway, I would greatly appreciate if anyone could clarify any of this!

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote