View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 01:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Laura, Where are you from in Michigan? I'm going to be there in April and will give talks on the 27th at Bay Ridge senior community, 11 a.m. at East Bay Ridge and 1 p.m. at West Bay Ridge. Also, for those in the Seattle area, Jay Alberts, the Cleveland Clinic neuroscientist who proved the correlation between cycling rpm and reduction of PD symptoms, will be the keynote speaker at the HOPE conference Nov. 6.

I think it's amazing that you can do an elliptical at that rate, even for a short time. If you have access to a bike, the 80-90 rpm for 40-60 minutes should be a piece of cake.

I have a new theory, purely based on my own experience, not tested scientifically. My extreme reduction in symptoms happened when I went over the top while training for RAGBRAI last spring. Rather than 3 times/week at 80-90 rpm for 40 minutes, I rode 4-6 times/week at 80-90 as best I could for anywhere from 1.5-4 hours, slowing for hills and taking a few rests. I was so worried I wouldn't make it across Iowa in RAGBRAI. Knowing there were hills on the ride (22,500' elevation gain in a week), I also rode up and down hills some days instead of doing the long rides. The hill near my house has 200' elevation gain in .8 miles. I told myself I could do it 10 times in a row. The most I achieved was 4, but it was still a great workout. By the end of a month, my PD symptoms were nearly gone. Since RAGBRAI, I have done more of a maintenance routine of the 1.5 hour rides outside or 1 hour on the bike trainer inside and have seen continuous improvement in my mental functions as well as my physical capacities. Lately I'm noting a little cramping in my foot and third finger on my right hand, nothing to whine about.

So I'm wondering if there is a neuron-building threshold that can be reached by extreme cycling and then maintained and enhanced through further cycling exercise. It might be worth trying.

Please, what view count are you referring to?
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote