View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 05:17 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella
Sunrise did you mean for yourself to get an assistance dog? I know there are some here on the boards who have them and find them so helpful. Some though trained them to be assistance dogs. Before the foster idea I had read up about adopting a retired foster dog.
If I did not have my neuro condition I would do this for sure but my fear is that I am going to have a hard time on bad days. I babysat my moms dog and I was able to do it but when I was feel so ill from pain it was hard. Also that I am going to get a dog that jumps on me and my leg can't tolerate a finger on it without it hurting. That is why a small dog only because I can't be dragged. I would really enjoy giving back and the company though. Well will see.
Daniella, Yes I was thinking of a therapy dog for myself. Like you, the aloneness and pain are so draining of spirit.
A retired assistance dog is a good suggestion. Thanks!

I think dog-sitting would be hard to compare to fostering. Not that I am making light of the pain! Lord no! But the bond you would create! And love conquers so much. It reminds me of say, baby sitting, versing having your own baby. The love somehow allows us to endure so much more than we could ever do as a sitter.
I had never experienced unconditional love until I owned my first cat. One night he got stuck 20 feet up in a tree. In freezing sleet, the wind blowing 30 mile gusts, day turned into night. Yet *somehow* I stood out there for 3 and a half hours until a tree-trimmer came to get him down. That would be impossible for me to do under normal circumstances due to pain. And I didn't really feel the same pain I would normally. I was too busy feeling horrible for my cat.
Reminds me of the stories I've heard about mothers having incredible physical strength in a child crisis, being able to lift a car, or whatever, when they normally would not.

Sunrise
Sunrise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote