View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 09:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default SEVERE Calf Muscle Cramps & Quinine

I have been on Quinine for so many years I can't tell you when I started. I get muscle cramps in my calf muscles. So severe that jumping up and coming down on the ball of my foot with 200+ pounds does not always "release" the cramp.

It almost always happens in the middle of the night. I told the Dr. I was afraid I would tear the muscle off the bone. I have had to "jump" like that more than once to get the cramp to go away. Hence Quinine.

Quinine is hard on our bodies and I would like to get off it. I have been on 324mg x 3 capsules a night for months, then get it down to two a night and then a single one every other night. Done this more than once, then the horrible cramps come back.

I have been to PT, I have tried various stretching exercises, nothing helped. Only one company makes Quinine in the USA (so I was told) and that is under the brand name of
Qualaquin (spelling??). I eat two bananas a day, take pro-biotics, the regimen of vitamins Mrs D suggested and still can't seem to rid myself of these muscle cramps.

No other muscles cramp up like this and the cramps started after heavy doses of Prednisone. I have not taken Prednisone in over a year. Any suggestions? Thanks.