View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for your response. Yes, I take Metformin (1,000mg). I'm aware of the possible B-12 depletion but stopped taking B-12 vitamins, because of gout attacks. Ever since I started taking fish oil (7,000mg), however, my gout attacks have become more manageable. So I'll reconsider taking B-12 as well as B complex (containing Folic Acid). Last time, though my B-12 was 550, right in the middle of the normal range (200-900), while my Folate was 20. My B-6 was 26, in the middle of the 5-47 normal range. That was all in 11/09, after having been on 1.0-1.5k Metformin for 6 months. So I'll probably have to get that retested in a few months.

My TSH (.75) is low-normal, so if anything, I'm probably hyper, not hypo. My D-3 hydroxy was 85 - that's after taking Vit D supplements after testing initially very low (15). I stopped taking D supplements, since I'm also suffering from constipation and a D overload could exacerbate it. But since I lost 45 lbs., and I wasn't done losing weight by January, all these serum numbers may not be reliable. Now, I'm stabilizing around 160 pounds, and consuming about 22k cal's per day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Do you take metformin for your type II? If so, you may be low in B12, as this drug upsets B12 absorption. Another thing that will cause this is low thyroid functions. When you get your B12 tested, ask for the results. Numbness and tingling can be a sign of poor calcium absorption, and when Vit D is low, you can have signs of this like you describe. (other things can be a cause too, but ruling this out and/or fixing it is important).[/url]
dolby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote