View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Book the more the better

I understand your questions, Linda, but given the (still) low numbers of pwp participating in clinical trials, I am in favor of any group presenting new ideas or ways of improving awareness about clinical trials.

We have had many spirited discussions in this forum about the pros and cons of participating in clinical trials. As many in this forum know, I have been in quite a few clinical trials and am right now in two ongoing trials. I just hope that with greater awareness about the existence of clinical trials, more people will look into different trials and understand that doing this is for themselves and for all of us who live with PD. Remember that there are many trials that don't involve new drugs - like exercise trials, or trials for biomarkers.

And yes many people live far from study centers, and that is a is a barrier to their participation. But not everyone faces such barriers. And there may also be trials like at the NIH or the IND where travel is provided to the participants.

Is the system perfect? No. Are some of us working to make the system better? Yes. Right now it's the only option we have. And with so few clinical trial participants, the movement of new treatments in the pipeline is grinding to a halt. Our wait grows frustratingly longer and longer and longer.

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote