View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmichael View Post

As a 48 year old bankruptcy attorney with a wife and two young boys, I had my own - and other's - set(s) of expectations to deal with. And walking away from a career I had spent 24 years developing wasn't easy. For me, things began to change once I got involved with the meditation community, which happened to be good sized where I lived at the time. Although I had not turned a profit in it since becoming ill, I had been despirately clinging to my professional "identity." Then one day at my desk, it just hit me: giving up my identity as a lawyer meant nothing more than dropping a pre-existing set of expectations that were really nothing more than atttachments to old things that used to make me happy, but no longer did. At which point, I could freely and happily begin the process of unwinding my law practice.

Mike

Dear Mike --

You are so fortunate that you could not only mentally adjust but that you could also easily AFFORD to just walk away from a law practice. I envy you and your family...I have also tried very hard to use mindfulness to help me in my current situation. But no amount of meditation is going to change the fact that we need for me to work, and to earn benefits and to save for retirement, rather than retire at age 49 into a life of disability. It's just not in the cards...so I need to get better.

You are truly blessed.

XOXOX Sandy
SandyRI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kakimbo (03-16-2010)