Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Crazy Hello WDWGranny

Annnnneeeeewayyyy.......

Gosh, i don't know where to start...?

You've had your implant for some time now, and mentioned that you've had to increase your med dosage.....
I've read that after awhile the SCS can seem less effective, or that our body 'get's used' to this form of pain control (similar to increased tolerance)....
What is your take on this?

People have even described that after the 'honeymoon' period is over, some patients end up disappointed with the pain control becoming less.

What I'm also discovering is that SCS seems to be more successful for patients with neuropathic (burning pain) in the lower extremities.......my concern is that there are many folks here who have full blown RSD and some of the full body RSD was due to it spreading after getting the implant.
This is heartbreaking.

I guess my main question right now is....what type of pain are you treating in your legs? Has it been diagnosed as PN (peripheral neuropathy) nerve damage, burning pain (that is me) ......or ? Were you told you have RSD?

Some Drs seem to think they are one in the same, but my fear as that it is NOT. More and more Drs are pushing these SCS units on patients with both types of pain and I'm seeing so many RSD sufferers put their last hope in the SCS, only to end up getting a spread and making their pain much worse. !
And the LAST thing I would ever want to do is encourage folks to try the SCS, just because I seem to be having success with my nerve damage PN issues......
Am i making any sense here?
I'm sensing that there is a critical difference in the two types of pain issues, yet doctors are so eager to push these units regardless.
Each person's situation is unique. It's a tough call.

The good thing about this tho is that there is the trial implant....but how is an RSD pt supposed to know if they will be at risk for a spread by only getting a few days to try it. ?

I've been doing SO much reading on this issue, but there is never any clear-cut answers....

SO, my hope is that more and more people who have had these units for over a year or so would please step forward and share their experiences.

Not to bombard you with questions......
Just wondering what your view is and what you've been led to believe ?

Thank you for sharing!

Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote