Thread: Update
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 09:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey Tyson,

How many mgs of mestinon do you take at a time, and how often during the day?

Lately, since seeing a different neuro. for a second opinion, I take 60 mgs and then another 60mgs like an hour and a half later...I usually do this on my initial dose after awakening, and then resume the 60mgs every 3-hours. It works for me. I don't recommend you changing your dose without asking your doc. first, but the fact that you think you took it in the morning, and didn't take it at school at all, sounds like little mestinon in terms of tha severity of your sx. I know that everyone is different, though.

What happened during spanish class doesn't sound like something other than MG. MG affects your diaphragm, doesn't it? Your speech is somewhat affected now too? Whenever I have major troubles talking (especially when my speech is nasal), I get extremely winded and my heart rate goes up. When I was in the hospital, the stay after having surgery, I was hooked up to a heart thingy. I was talking to the neurologist, and I started having tachycardia (the machine started beeping really loudly), and I was doing the typical gasping thing while talking. This happens often during talking when I'm very weak. I personally dont think that it's my diaphragm, but some other muscle in the upper area of my chest that affects my breathing. It almost feels like my throat's collapsing.

Anywho, I"m not saying that nothing else is wrong, but the same thing happens to me when I'm feeling weak. Now that I am super vigilant with my mestinon, and have tweaked the dosage somewhat, I feel more in control and I haven't had to stay in the hospital since August. But, like I said, this doesn't mean that what's happening with you isn't something else, but it does sound very familiar to me.

I'm glad that you got into that school! I bet that you'll be a terrific doctor!!

Nicky
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote