View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan Cyclist View Post
I note that quite a few people are keeping track of this thread and I wonder what experiences individuals are having. Are you trying cycling? If so, do you see or feel any difference in the way you either move or think, or both? I found that over time my cognitive functions returned, which thrilled me even more than having my body nearly back to normal. If you're cycling, are you going at the 80-90 rpm for at least 40 minutes three times per week or are you going more or less? What is the hardest and easiest part of the cycling for you? What do you think would help you out? Feel free to add anything else you would like.

My experiences with forced pace cycling are great, but it would be fantastic if these experiences or something close to them were replicated by lots of others. If you're shy about responding to the group, please contact me through the private message forum. I'll compile answers anonymously and report back to the forum.

Thanks.
Nan Cyclist
I've been meaning to add to your post and just now getting to it.
Last year I got back on the bike and started training for the RAGBRAI as well. I wasn't sure how I'd do over the course of the week but was determined to have a small victory over PD and ride with my friends on the Air Force Cycle Team. I increased the miles slowly from Mar till Jul and had about 1150 miles in the seat by RAGBRAI time. I didn't have the same great results you had but I felt the best I had in a number of years. I found after I got morning meds in me and got rolling I could stretch out the afternoon meds. It was like the bike was producing dopamine for me in a way. I felt probably my best on century day and did it in about 6.5 hrs, which is good for me. Maybe I had some help in there with some paceline friends from time to time, but I can't admit to that.Ha! Riding here in the beautiful hills of East TN made the elevation gain in Iowa seem easy.
I've been spinning through the winter, not as much as I prefer. The wx hasn't helped and so it's mid Mar I have maybe 100 miles in the seat.It will get better! I'm still young in the battle with PD dx Dec03 symptoms 2 yrs before anyway, age 50, but I feel the bike plus the gym (weight training, yoga) is the best weapons I have in this long-term war. It would be great to compare notes from riding this summer. My neuro rides as well, and its always good to out climb him on a group ride. Don't know where you're located but we have some good local rides, so come on down!
ScottSuff is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote