View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Scot,
Seattle is a long way from TN, but thanks for the invite to ride! Actually a friend from Memphis heard about Jay's work and got me on this track, so we have a connection there. I was awestruck in RAGBRAI whenever the Air Force Cycle Team flew past me. Made me proud. Our group, Pedaling for Parkinson's, had on jerseys with a big brain on the front that says: "You don't need brain surgery" and the back has a head with a pedal in it that says: "Just Pedal!" We got a lot of comments. However, my favorite group name and logo was Team Soreassareus with a dinosaur sitting on a bike...all old guys as I recall. I got stronger as the week went by. Day three was the hardest with the long ride and wet roads. I was concerned about accidents and saw a couple, including one guy who cut right in front of the guy ahead of me and took him out. I jumped to the gravel and somehow didn't go headlong into a ditch. Got my heart rate up for sure. I was the slowest in our group, but found plenty of people to talk with along the way and I always felt good when I passed people on hills. (More passed me than I passed.) Are you doing RAGBRAI again this year? We are. It would be great to meet you in Iowa.

I think you're right that the cycling is producing dopamine or at least getting it through the barrier. Have you read Spark, The Effect of Exercise on the Brain? Well worth anyone's time.

Have a great day.
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote