View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 11:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Maurice,
I like the idea of taking extra Mestinon when I feel weak. My neuro insists that Mestinon be taken on a regular schedule. He said that if I need more one day, then I should continue the new increased amount on future days. He absolutely didn't want me taking it as needed, but did give me an okay to adjust dosage as long as I stop adjusting when I figure out what works best for me. His opinion is that for the best long term benefits, Mestinon should be taken on a regular basis without daily adjustments as needed. I have talked to my Neuro about extra Mestinon only when needed a few times and he won't consider it.
I agree that MG symptoms are variable depending on what I do and where I am. I am open to anything that will make me even slightly better, including occasional extra Mestinon, but for now I am following my doctors advise and staying with a steady Mestinon dosage (I am "giving it time" like he asked me to).

Abby,
I have found lots of other things besides Mestinon that help my MG symptoms. None of them help a lot, but just the small boost I get is great. Some of the things I have found to help are vitamins (B Complex, E, C, Magnesium in small amounts), green leafy vegetables, nuts, sunshine, small amounts of exercise.

To go along with the rainy days, other things that make my MG worse include exposure to chemicals/perfumes/insecticides, eating packaged food (anything with more than a few ingredients seem to make my MG worse-is it the preservatives?), being near lots of electrical devices(mostly I notice this at our local library near the section with all the computers), fluorescent lights...

I noticed that coffee and tea can effect me either way - sometimes it makes my symptoms better and sometimes makes them worse. I looked up information and caffeine can inhibit your absorption of iron,magnesium and other minerals. Also the caffeine acts in a similar way as Mestinon, so it can make me have Mestinon overdose symptoms if I drink it on my resting days. I have stopped drinking caffeine recently to see if I notice any big changes.

I am still tracking my symptoms and continue to notice things that are good or bad for my MG. I am slowly making changes to my life and want to make more. This forum is a great place to share ideas.

One funny thing...I have been putting green leafy things into a lot of the foods I cook. At first my kids thought I was crazy, but now they like it. They say it makes them more energetic and that they feel smarter. It is fun to take my kids to the store and have them ask for Rainbow Chard or Beet Greens...how many kids do that?

Spring is here! The Gold Poppies are blooming at their best now and all the spring wildflowers are out. I must save enough energy to go for a walk out in the desert! I am feeling desperately in need of seeing the flowers up close and out in the wild. Beautiful!!!

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote