Thread: My Concussion
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 11:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Welcome, although sorry for the circumstances that brought you here.

Others will be able to better address specific treatments, diagnostics, etc.

I will speak to your question about returning to work. My daughter has kept on with school and drumming through her concussion. Similar to you, once we realized this was not a "simple" knock on the head she stopped sports. Her neuro advised that we let her do anything that 1) didn't increase her symptoms or 2) would not result in another blow. We did restrict her social time and screen time A LOT. Lots of sleep, lots of rest, etc.

I can't tell you if we made the right decisions in allowing her to continue life as normal as much as possible. She is getting better all the time but at 7 1/2 months and still has several short "stabber" headaches each week, still more fatigue than usual. Her cognitive skills are coming back rapidly...thank God. I just don't know if she would be further along if we had made her stay home from school for a month or so. I felt, as you do, that she had to give up so much that going to school was giving her some semblence of normal. It was giving her a reason to wake up through the concussion hangovers and face another day. Her worst symptoms have coincided with our harshest restrictions on her time...not sure if there is a cause and effect relationship there or not.

My recommendation (outside of whatever medical stuff you do) is to treat this as you would a badly sprained ankle. You wouldn't walk on it, right? You wouldn't feel embarassed or ashamed if it wasn't fully healed within some arbitrary time frame, right? So don't over-stress yourself. Allow your family to take on some of the burden of your daily routine and just try to take it as easy as possible.
PCSLearner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote