View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 03:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshadow View Post

I have a repetitive motion disease. Meaning: I got my nerve disease from my computer!!! It is highly unknown, not being researched because there's no money in it, and if you notice, Phil Gates philathropy group does not fight diseases in America that come from computers - carpal tunnel, neck, eye, cubital tunnel in the elbow, shoulder and back injuries - all from too many hours spent on the keyboard.
I am sorry, but repetitive use, CTS, overuse syndromes do not come from computers, and computers do not cause nerve disorders. The injury or disease process is from the repetitive and continual use of the hands/arm/shoulder . . . doing a huge array of tasks, from trimming parts to sorting fruit, from cutting meat to moving product along a production line. Hairdressers get it from holding scissors and combs in static positions for long hours, and artists can get CTS from constantly gripping the brush!

I have CTS, stage 3 on the left and stage 2 on the right . . . neither caused by work. (Chances are my inflammation-prone body turned my art activity into CTS.) After 13 years as a claims examiner for worker's compensation in Iowa/Illinois and Washington, I have seen my share of repetitive motion, CTS, cubital tunnel/tennis elbow, and other overuse injuries. For some of us we suffer because of predisposition or because of other inflammatory processes, and for others their symptoms were linked to tasks done in the workplace. You are not entirely correct in your statement that "it is highly unknown, not being researched because there is no money in it" because all you have to do is google and you will find many scholarly articles on these types of injuries and disorders. One would not expect Bill Gates (Phil Gates is a blues musician) to throw funds at a medical issue like this, since the Gates Foundation focuses on providing vaccines for world-wide epidemic diseases and childhood diseases, and not diseases of aging or wear-and-tear. Sound like you have anger issues because of the introduction of the computer into the workplace. Don't blame Bill Gates . . . you would be better off familiarizing yourself with some prominent neurologists in the field.

IMHO, right after some kind of health care reform is realized, we need to review our industrial insurance practices. If we were looking forward to some kind of more universal health care coverage from this legislative battle, getting good treatment for work injuries would likely no longer be the challenge is it now. I recall often butting heads with my clients (the employers) over unnecessary exams, investigations and surveillance, and oppressive monitoring of claims when it was obvious that the injury was compensable. Sounds like the courts in California have allowed w/c to slip through the cracks when it comes to reality. I have no working knowledge of California w/c, but it sounds like a nightmare . . .
"Thanks for this!" says:
thursday (03-29-2010)