View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 08:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I think "mob mentality" is too easy an excuse. Is hateful behavior more hateful when it is carried out by only one person? If a person feels he is given permission to treat another badly simply because he is surrounded by other like minded people, is he less culpable? I don' t think so. "Everybody else is doing it" is a child's excuse.

The way we behave toward one another is evidence of the polarizing effects of our current politcal process. We have been given permission to use hate speech and to incite anger and fear as a tool for the advancement of political causes. Until we, as a society, refuse to be influenced by those, on both sides, shouting at the opposition, flagrantly using hyperbole and playing to the fears of the weakest among us, we will never be free.

The idea that all is fair in pushing a political agenda will be our downfall. We must become our own advocates, learn what is at stake ourselves and stop depending upon politicians who have motivations that may or may not be in our best interests. And we must demand a return of civility to the process. We do not have to be in the majority. My favorite quote comes from John Adams ,“ It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds.”
pkell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote