View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 09:56 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
My carpal tunnel came from hypothyroidism.

I worked in a field with much hand/wrist action, and also with computers for as long as they were there. I work on this computer all day long.

My carpal tunnel is not severe, (I lost 80% functions shown by EMG when I was pregnant) and it did improve when I finally was diagnosed with the thyroid issue. It is not cured, but I don't consider myself suffering from it, anymore. If I overdo in the garden, or gripping things, I wear my braces, and I am fine.

Repetitive strain is often due to a systemic problem with the peripheral nerves. The strain aggravates what is happening internally and makes it worse. Finding what the metabolic thing is can be complex...but recent opinions on this aggravating syndrome are changing as to the "real" causes.

As far as the legal stuff goes, having an experienced attorney would be helpful I would imagine. I worked all thru my carpal tunnel and other PN issues, for 40+yrs.
I think a key issue here is that you worked the entire time.

Many people do not have that good benefit - meaning, there are many people who work on computers all day long and get carpal tunnel to the point that they can't work at all, or handle daily activities of life such as getting dressed. Causation is always both medical and legal and determined by the facts in each separate case. Your hypothyroidism is a common factor in many nerve diseases and it is an issue that the doctors are looking at to try to find out if the nerve disease causes hypothyroidism, or, does hypothyroidism cause repetitive nerve disesases to flare up into a full-fledged disease/injury.

I do not see either of your names regularly on the TOS board, or the RSI board, so I don't know if you have sufficient symptomology in those areas to be interested in any further research.
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote