View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 08:18 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi. Thanks for your response. It sounds like you have had a long road with your son. Yes,in response to your question regarding verbal tics my nephew does have them and they are getting progressively worse.In the summer it was just whisteling,now my sister said there are 5 distinct ones, like a throat clearing over and over and other strange noises.She said school said they dont happen there but as soon as he gets home it is non stop,especially on his more stressful school days. They did end up medicating him and most of the ocd behaviors disappeared within a few days but she said he has gotten really really defiant now,talking back a lot,refusing to do homework and staying in his room for hours at a time,has tried to hit them,etc. She is very frustrated obviously. I know he went for the strept test,no word on result yet,I am doubtful that is cause b/c of all the other issues. They are trying to get a vitamin in him, he is beyond picky,like your ds it is truly a problem where he can't even see foods or have textures near him,smells of others foods can make him gag and that kind of thing. I know doc said aspergers is hard at 5 to pinpoint. He felt that nephew did not answer his questions the way an aspergers kid would (not sure what that way is but this was a developmental pediatrician who does this all day), but commented there ws no doubt he was wired different than most. Just the fact that at 2 he had no words,not even mama and by 3 was fully speaking and reading is interesting. He is extremely bright b/c he comprehends everything he reads, I know school tried to test him at at 5 he got past the 4th grade reading level and teacher ran out of testing materials so they dont have an exact level,but it is past 4th grade. Also writes out paragraphs of information, adds double digits ,even does things since he was little like can tell you what day of the week a date falls on a month away, you can see him doing the math in his head. My sister is very worried about the social ramifications for him of the tics and ocd behaviors as he grows and whether they will just go away or worrsen, there is a lot she does not know.
3beansforme is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote